How to Find the Best Root Canal Sealer
With so many root canal sealers available on the market, finding a suitable product for your practice can be difficult.
While a perfect root canal sealer might not exist, there are products that can provide clinical evidence of being among the best. Septodont BioRoot RCS is one of those products.
Before we explain how, it’s important to understand exactly how root canal sealers and BioRoot RCS work.
What is root canal sealer?
Almost all of today’s root canals involve the use of root canal sealer to enhance the seal of the root canal filling.
Working in conjunction with gutta purcha (GP) points, the primary job of a root canal sealer is to establish an adequate seal of the root canal.
Root canal sealers do this by filling the gaps between the gutta purcha and the root canal walls.
Below is a full list of root canal sealer uses:
- Cementing (luting, binding) the core material to the canal
- Filling the discrepancies between the root canal walls and core material
- Acting as a lubricant
- Acting as an antimicrobial agent
- Acting as a marker for accessory canals, restorative defects, root fractures and other spaces into which the main core material may not penetrate
Application of root canal sealer can be done via syringe, hand mix or pre-measured capsules.
BioRoot RCS comes in a convenient hand-mix presentation that provides full control of final viscosity and a reduced risk of cross contamination compared to in-mouth inserted syringes.
What makes a good root canal sealer?
Grossman’s criteria for an ideal root canal sealer are as follows:
- Should form a hermetic seal
- Provide good adhesion between itself, the canal walls and the filling material
- Be radiopaque
- Should not stain the tooth structure
- Should be dimensionally stable
- Be easily mixed and introduced into the canals
- Should be easy to remove if necessary
- Be insoluble in tissue fluids
- Bactericidal or bacteriostatic
- Non-irritating to periradicular tissues
- Should set slowly to provide working time
How does BioRoot RCS standout?
BioRoot RCS is one of our most popular permanent root canal sealers.
The benefits of using BioRoot sealer include:
- Outstanding adhesion to dentine and gutta-percha points
- Hydrophilic - BioRoot RCS continues the sealing process in the presence of moisture
- Pure mineral formulation - will not stain teeth
- Resin-free - made from pure calcium silicate and is monomer-free ensuring zero shrinkage
- Great flowability - seals auxiliary canals
- Uses cold single cone or cold lateral condensation
- High 5mm aluminium radiopacity for clear images on radiographs
How to mix BioRoot RCS
To get the best possible results from your root canal sealer, it’s important to prepare BioRoot RCS according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Following the technique shown in the video above will help with flowability and ease of handling.
How does BioRoot RCS compare?
A single cone technique with Septodont root canal sealer has been clinically proven to deliver similar clinical success to a vertical condensation obturation technique.
The results below are from a trial comparing a single cone technique using BioRoot RCS and a warm vertical condensation of gutter-percha with AH Plus.
Other studies have found the BioRoot RCS cold technique to produce less microleakage compared to warm techniques and a reduced risk of bacterial reinfection. Further clinical research into BioRoot RCS can be found here.
BioRoot RCS price
BioRoot RCS is currently available from only £116 at Kent Express. Shop online today for free next working day delivery as standard.
For a limited time only, get a FREE 5 pack of Biodentine when you buy two boxes of BioRoot RCS. Send a copy of your invoice to firstname.lastname@example.org for your free stock.